All bets are off! It’s Chocolate Covered Anything Day! Or as they say in Ghostbusters:
“Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes… The dead rising from the grave! … Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Look, don’t get me wrong – I’m all for chocolate. Pretty much any time of the day or night. No one was more thrilled than I that individually sliced chocolate slices have now seen the light of day. But you can’t just go throwing chocolate on things willy-nilly. I mean, you can but why?
- Why diminish or demean chocolate covered raisins by lumping them in with chocolate covered – oh, I don’t know – frogs’ legs.
- Why further alienate the people who love chocolate covered pretzels by making it just one of many things and not letting have the chance to shine on it’s own (I’ve only recently come around to chocolate covered pretzels myself and I feel certain that given time and a bit more attention, they’d catch on with more people.
- Why make a bad situation even worse by covering Brussels sprouts with chocolate (yes, that is a thing. A very wrong thing.)
So yes – celebrate the covering of food stuffs in chocolate. But in slightly a slightly more focused way. Focused on things that make sense.
- Bacon for example. Salty-sweet is a classic foodie ying yang and what better way to embrace bacon anew (assuming you want to after its cultural over-saturation of several years back).
- Strawberries. What could be more classic?
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans? Yes.
- But my favorite item in this field is the frozen chocolate covered banana. Long ago, you see – I worked at the Renaissance Festival and . . . Um, you know. Now that I think about it – that is another story for another time.
So – go on, swathe whatever you like in milk, dark or – I can’t believe I am about to say this – white chocolate of your choice. But don’t go off half cocked.
No, no – still not telling the banana story.